The blade. Gabriel likes watching the snow tumble 'round and 'round when the blade is down.
More snow.
The cutest little helper in the world.
Jacob took this picture on the way to clear Aunt Marian's driveway.
More snow than I wanted to see in the driveway.
Jacob standing on the drifts in Gramma Marian's driveway.
Jacob driving the tractor.
On Tuesday, January 25, I received a phone call around 6:45 AM. It was the bus driver and he told me that he had tried to come and pick Jacob up for school. I thought maybe he tried to come down the road, decided it that was too bad and turned around. No. He was stuck.
I took Gabriel to Mom's and then went to start Big Blue, the tractor. Then I got in the tractor, stopped to pick up Jacob at our house (he was getting ready for school) and then we went to rescue the bus. He was just north of the old Rice place turnoff. I cleared out a place for him to turn the bus around in. After I got a spot cleared, the driver took the tow rope and hooked it onto the blade and I pulled him out. He couldn't quite get turned around, so I had to pass him (scary close)and push the snow farther into the ditch. He finally got turned around and I made a path to the highway for him so that he could carry his only passenger of the day to school. I got home at 10:00 AM.
This is a picture that the bus driver took while I was clearing a spot for him to turn the bus around in. He posted it on his facebook with the caption:
My Hero today is a lady driving a Tractor - Lura Lynn

We are now snowbound until the county comes through. Last night we barely made it in. The roads were terrible. I have not ever driven in such terrible road conditions. Last night I was ready to give up this life and move to town. I'm better today. I'm pretty sure they will have to carry me out of the coulee in a coffin.

2 comments:
Oh, WOW....Lura Lyn you ARE something! I can't believe the snow pictures. We used to always depend on Elmer to get us in and out but now that role has been passed on to YOU! Are you ever fearful you will get stuck with the tractor and the 2 kids in it with you?
I'm praying for a big thaw for you all.
Hang in there!
Betty
I was thinking the same thing as Aunt Betty. I remember visiting you in January and watching your grandfather doing what YOU are now doing. And I cannot express how proud I am that MY life-long friend is a tractor-driving woman HERO.
You come from a long line of level-headed prairie dwellers. And if you ever move to town, make sure it's MINE! :)
Post a Comment