17 January 2009

Pediatrician Appointment

Yesterday, Gabriel had his two week check-up. I've never been to a two week check up. Jacob was 4 months when he came home forever.

I wasn't prepared for what happened. Nobody told me the doctor handles 2 week old babies like he's handling dough and making pizza crust. I really wasn't prepared for the throwing in the air. He stood him up and Gabriel started walking to the edge of the table.

Doc: "Well, we have to hold this one back, or he'll walk right off the edge."

Any question I had or comoment I made regarding Gabriel was responded to with, "That's normal for a couple of months."

After he was done, he said, "You dress him and I'll talk to you."

He told me his metabolic and hearing screenings were normal. Told me that he had a heart murmur when he was born, but it was gone now and to forget that he even told me about it. (Then why tell me?) Told me to limit his formula to 32 oz./day and to give him rice cereal if he didn't seem satisfied. To me to give him some water and juice, and that if the juice caused him to make a face to dilute it. He's kind of old school. When questioned about it, he said, "We limit milk, not calories. Some kids just need more calories."

When he was done talking he said, "Now it's time for your questions."

He wrote down absolutely everything that he said to me and handed it to me at the end of the appointment.

Then he asked, "How long do you get to keep him?"

I told him, "Forever."

He said, "He's a good one."

Gabriel now weighs 9 pounds and he got a clean bill of health.

Now reread this whole blog and imagine that the doctor looks and acts like a WHO. I'm not joking, he could be Cindie Lou Who's dad. I wanted to ask him what Dr. Suess book he just crawled out of.

My friend and neighbor, Sandy, was along with me and we ran some errands after the appointment. Then we went to Target to register for the upcoming baby shower. That was fun. I was also going to register at Wal-mart, for those people who prefer Wal-mart, but it has been closed since last Sunday due to snow on the roof (can read all about it at www.kxmc.com). I click on insert link, type in the address, but it never shows up.

After I picked up Mom from work, we saw a moose in the field just as we turned the corner. He looked like he was limping. Mom wondered who we should call. I called the McLean County Sheriff (I have his cell on my cell). He said, "Hit it with your car, then we'll all have some moose meat." :-) He said he would call the game warden to check it out.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

i too have read your blog. i'm glad i could provide a few laughs for you all the way up in ND.

LuraLynn said...

Laughs might be the only thing that keep us warm lately; or sane, so we do not cave in ynder the pressure of CABIN FEVER.

Alan & Tina said...

Oooooooooh, right....the 2 week appointment. They do get flopped around, don't they? And Dr. Who's feeding advice cracked me up--goes to show you that kids grow up healthy on quite a variety of diets. (I think I was fed cereal at two weeks, too, even though my girls were held off until 6 months!)